307 2.0 Petrol Tiptronic - Anyone still driving one?

Discussion in 'Peugeot 307' started by ChrisDC, Oct 1, 2024.

1. ChrisDC

ChrisDC

Hi everyone,

Was recently given a 307 2.0 petrol with the Tiptronic transmission. Realised after a couple of days that I don't remember when last I saw one on the road (any variation 3/5 door or Estate).

I actually purchased this vehicle new at the end of 2003, then gave it to my folks in 2006. That makes it 21 years old, give or take. It currently has 133000km on the clock.

I'm in KZN South Africa. Would love to hear from anyone that still drives one of these (anywhere in the world) and what your experiences with the car have been.

It didn't take long to remember that the Comms 2000 unit was replaced under warranty, while I still had the car. It all came flooding back on the way home after collecting the car, the usual indicator problems and lights flashing by themselves. So it looks like Peugeot never did get that right (and it's probably why my elderly stepdad didn't want to drive it after dark).

At the moment I'm trying to reconstruct the cars service history and am wondering what the main problem areas are. I'm not too worried about the comms unit as I repair electronics for a living and will strip it down and rebuild it myself.

My main concern is the cam belt. The serpentine belt also looks very 'tired' - it would make sense to replace that at the same time. Most would say this is a good time to change the water pump. I have mixed feelings about that as when the pump was changed on my Renault Kangoo (similar age and mileage), the old pump looked and felt perfect. The coolant on the 307 is 'straw' coloured. Apparently Peugeot did use anti-freeze of this colour, however it's possible whatever's in the radiator now is not the original coolant and just rust tinted tap water. Not all water pumps are equal, so if these are particularly problematic, then I'll change it.

What says the Pug village brain trust?

Thanks,

Chris

ChrisDC, Oct 1, 2024
Ask a Question