Catalytic converter removal

Discussion in 'Peugeot 406' started by idiousschnid, Mar 18, 2013.

1. idiousschnid

idiousschnid

I just wondered if anyone could help me, I am attempting to change the catalytic converter on my 406 hdi 110 for a new one as the flexi pipe has had it. I have changed these on a couple of different cars in the past but the 406 seems to be a different animal! There is so little space to get to the front joint where it meets the turbo and after struggling in the rain for several hours to get the middle section joint undone now I have found that I just cannot get enough space to pull the section out. I can see that there is an overlap of pipe so I need to move the cat forward to disengage it from the middle section, but with all clamps undone and the bracket which supports the exhaust I just can't see a way to do it. I'm doing this on my own using axle stands which I know isn't ideal but I thought I'd be able to get it done. Also, I'm not looking forward to trying to get the new one in after seeing the limited access! Any ideas or experience of the process would be really appreciated thanks.

idiousschnid, Mar 18, 2013
  2. idiousschnid

robertmadini

Since the end of the twentieth century, most cars have had a catalytic converter installed in their system, but if you wish to you can carry out a catalytic converter removal which will take out all of the parts of the converter. Many people feel that the converter prevents the car from reaching its full horsepower, or creates too much back pressure in the exhaust. For this reason, keen car drivers are keen to remove the converter from the car, and replace it with a more simplified version. It is not considered to be a good idea to remove the converter, but if you are fed up with it, or wish to replace it with a newer version, then you should be able to manage this without too many problems.

1. The Major Problem

The biggest problem that anyone will have with catalytic converter removal is that it is simply breaking the law. It is currently illegal to remove the catalytic converter from your car, and if you are found without one, you face the risk of getting a ticket, having to pay a big fine, or possibly even having the car impounded until the converter is re-installed. In addition, if you put on something which is supposed to do the converter's job, then you may find that you fail your emissions rating when you take your car in for a service. This can all mean that your car is considered unroadworthy, and may even be scrapped.

2. Buying an X-Pipe

On some Internet auction sites, you may find some exhaust pipes claiming to be able to get rid of your carbon emissions without needing a catalytic converter. You can remove your old pipe, and fit these, although they will need to have O2 sensors installed so that you don't produce too much emission from your vehicle, but even then you may still find that you produce too much exhaust to pass in highly regulated states, such as NY.

3. Removing the Converter and Sensor

If you are still determined to remove the Catalytic converter, then you will have to take off the O2 sensor. This can only be done with a specific kind of tool known as an O2 wrench, but you can purchase one for between $30 and $40 from parts dealers. Once you have remove this, you will need to unbolt the catalytic converter and slide it down the exhaust pipe. If you find that the converter is actually welded to the underside of your car, then you will need to saw this off using a rotary saw, although it is best to have your car in the air for this one.

4. Disposing of the Converter

Once the converter is removed, you can take it to a scrap merchants, or you can remove the center from the converter yourself, and sell that for cash. The inside of the cat is made from a precious material, so you might be able to get more money for this alone than just the scrap of the converter on its own.

robertmadini, May 13, 2013
Ask a Question